Saturday, January 22, 2011

Flower Hair Bow Tutorial

There are a lot of hair bow tutorials online right now, so I thought I might as well add one more.  Here's how I made this fabric flower to match this skirt I made for my daughter.

Cut out 6 circles of one fabric and 5 smaller circles of a complimentary fabric.  These circles are 2 1/2 inches and 4 inches in diameter.  I used one of my cups and the lid of a spray paint can to trace them.
Then fold them in quarters and press them with an iron.
Next, with a needle and thread, sew large gathering stitches across the rounded edge of each of the six larger pieces.
Stitch them all in a line using the same thread.

Then pull the two ends of your thread together tightly and tie a knot.
 Layer one is now done.  This fabric is rather thick, so it has a larger hole in the middle.  If you use a lighter weight fabric the hole should be smaller.

Repeat the above steps for the smaller wedges.
Lay the smaller flower on top of the larger one and either hot glue or stitch them together.  Then, to cover the hole in the center I cut out a circular piece of felt large enough to cover the center and sewed a button onto it because I didn't have a really large button that I liked.
Hot glue your large button or felt piece into the center of your flower.
Then I cut out another piece of felt to cover the back and hot glued it on.
Then add your hair clip or elastic to the back.  I hot glued on a piece of non-slip drawer liner to help the bow stay in place in my daughter's hair.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, this is so very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I would LOVE to see the dress that matches this bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wonderful to share this with everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an adorable flower accent! Used it for a Lolita style dress, and it added exactly the flair I needed!

    ReplyDelete